CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE Development
In order to be able to succeed, grow and feel good professionally and personally in our multicultural Australian society and in today's global market, it is important to develop our ability to interact and work more effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds; in terms of age, national or ethnic origin, gender, professional status, physical ability, religion and the more.
Primarily based on the Cultural Intelligence (CQ) model and always tailored to the relevant industry and individuals, Santeplus+ offers and delivers a range of Cross-Cultural interactive activities and services which might include facilitation, coaching, CQ Evaluation and debriefing. While having fun and always set in a positive and safe environment participants can experiment, reflect, learn and apply new ideas towards developing capabilities to communicate and to function more effectively across a variety of cultural contexts.
Santeplus+ Cross-Cultural services provide support to:
- companies in Australia (in the corporate, government and non – government sectors) to comply with the current policies and procedures to support Workplace Diversity and Inclusion.
- companies with overseas operations and clients
- prepare Australian people relocating overseas.
- prepare overseas personnel and their families relocating to Australia.
- a fair and authentic understanding introduction to the Aboriginal people of Australia.
What is Cultural Intelligence (CQ)?
Cultural intelligence (CQ) is the capability to relate and work effectively in culturally diverse situations. It goes beyond existing notions of cultural sensitivity and awareness to highlight a theoretically-based set of capabilities needed to successfully and respectfully accomplish your objectives in culturally diverse settings.
Research on Cultural Intelligence proves... everyone can improve their CQ; so let's discover & enhance your global potential!
Cultural Intelligence Facilitation and Coaching
- 70% The number of international ventures that fail due to cultural differences. —International Labor Union
- 90% of leading executives from 68 countries said finding effective cross-cultural personnel is a top management challenge. –Economist Intelligence Unit
- Diverse teams make or break innovation
- A survey of British Council Human Resource employees in 9 countries found that a lack of cultural competency within an organization can lead to miscommunication and conflict with partners and among staff, contribute to high staff turnover, damage an organisation’s reputation and lead to project mistakes. www.britishcouncil.org
Cultural Intelligence facilitation programmes
Are aimed to develop the capability and leadership of any professionals to work more effectively across various cultural contexts (national, ethnic, organisation, generational, etc) in Australia and overseas. Each programme is customized to the specific needs of the organisation budget, timeframe and the group development's needs. The programmes are shaped from the CQ assessment tool therefore using the same language and framework which includes:
The four key CQ components are:
- Drive: What is your intention and purpose in working cross culturally? What challenges do you face? What part does culture play?
- Knowledge: What is your knowledge of your personal biases, your own culture and the cultures of your partners, clients, customers or staff? How do cultural values shape personal and professional behaviour and the way business is done?
- Strategy: What strategies do you have for bridging cultural gaps? For example in resolving conflict, improving communications, negotiating agreements, managing staff, making decisions, developing marketing campaigns etc.
- Action: What action do you need to take to enhance your capability and that of your organization to work cross culturally? How can you adapt your leadership and communication styles to a more diverse or different cultural context? What new skills do you need to develop?
The seven Cultural Values are:
- Individualism - Collectivism
- Power Distance
- Uncertainty Avoidance
- Cooperative - Competitive
- Time Orientation
- Context (communication style)
- Being - Doing
These cultural ratings based on G. Hofstede's work give you an understanding of your personal orientation to life, work & relationship.
The Facilitation and Coaching Approach:
Based within the adult learning and coaching principles the facilitation is interactive, raises participants self-awareness and awareness of other cultures using relevant examples, case studies and participants personal experiences.
Using the CQ assessment tool report, each participant is able to reflect on their personal CQ strengths and areas for development. Coaching support enhances the CQ self-development process, maximising each individual potential.
Group reflection and discussion post CQ assessment will enhance team development through a better understanding of each others preferred Cultural Values.
While each programme is customized and adapted to the specific audience, it is through fun and active participation that the benefits and learning can be maximized.